Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Cheese Maker



A very fun day was had recently in Cedarburg, WI.

One of the groups that I'm active in, the Essential Herbal, had a discussion recently on the joys of making your own cheese. In the process of research I discovered that there was a workshop available in this lovely little town. So yes indeed, I had to sign on for the class.

For more information on the workshop, please visit the website http://thecheesemaker.com/
Tell Steve I sent you!

These are some of the pictures from the event that he hosts upon request. The top picture is Steve Shapson, the owner of the cheese maker store. He also sells a variety of home brew and wine making supplies. On the eclectic side, he has surf ware. How is that for unique?

We made some Camembert that was surprisingly easy. The middle picture shows a ripe, ready to eat wheel of Camembert. The one we made in the class is now happily living in it's cheese cave and is producing it's distinctive white bloom that is characteristic of this cheese. Steve tells me that it should be ripe and ready in about 30 days. Yum! I can't wait!

I was in this quaint little town for a benefit to raise awareness for breast cancer. My daughter Erin lives here and she is involved with her local Jr. Women's Club. They sponsored a "wearable" art show and a three mile Awareness walk on Saturday. We really enjoyed our weekend together.

No comments: